8 Easy Steps to Lower Your Risk of Breast Cancer
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Breast cancer is one of the most common cancers for a woman. Although there are many factors that put you at risk for breast cancer, there are also many steps you can take to lower this risk:
- Keep a healthy weight.
- Exercise at least 4 hours a week.
- Get enough sleep.
- Don’t drink alcohol, or limit alcoholic drinks to no more than one per day.
- Avoid exposure to anything that can cause cancer (carcinogens), like tobacco.
- Try and reduce your exposure to radiation during medical tests.
- Ask your doctor about the risks of taking hormone replacement therapy and oral contraceptives and see if it’s right for you.
- Breastfeed your babies if at all possible
Be sure to get regular breast cancer screenings and mammograms. Although neither prevents breast cancer, both can find breast cancer early, when it is easier to treat. For more information on breast cancer, visit the CDC website.