Delaware Ecumenical Council on Children and Families
The Community Health Outreach Workers has been connecting individuals and families to needed resources since 2012. It works with faith communities to build teams of volunteers who provide information about community resources and support to at-risk individuals and families. Working with the ubiquitous faith communities helps the program to reach many who are unaware of sources of help or are uncomfortable about connecting with public entities.
CHOW provides training, including materials, to groups wanting to learn more about community outreach and resource education. There are now more than fifty (50) volunteers who provide information at soup kitchens, food and clothing pantries, day care programs, church functions, and other community venues. Some volunteers are fluent in Creole or Spanish and work with community or ministerial alliances.
Communities We Serve
The program serves these communities: Ellendale (19941), Felton (19943), Greenwood (19950), Harrington (19952), Houston (19954), Lincoln (19960) and Milford (19963, 19960), Delaware.
What Health Ambassadors Provide
- Orientation and training to faith community and related community based CONTorganization members on how to become Health Ambassadors
- Consultation with youth and young adults on healthy life choices
- Consultation with families on school readiness
- Consultation, information and referral for pregnant women and women planning to become pregnant on appropriate health and social services, e.g., prenatal health care; social services for parents, babies and other children; nurse home visiting program services; other needed community resources
- Information and referral to databases of community resources and services such as Delaware 211, Help Me Grow, etc.
- Health promotion and public health education.
- Various food pantries and diaper pantries
- Meetings of church and ministerial associations in area
- Milford Stroll
- River Walk Fest
- Family Night Out
- Bug and Bud Festival
- Milford Readiness Team Events
- Harrington Readiness Team Events
Connect with Us
240 N James St., Suite 111
Wilmington, DE 19804