Help Me Grow: How Delaware Parents Can Keep Kids on The Right Track
Babies grow up quickly and it is sometimes difficult to keep up. How do you help your son or daughter thrive when there are so many options and suggestions available? How do you know if they need help? Thankfully there are clues and professional advice available. Milestones are clues to how your child is growing and developmental screening confirms if your child needs extra support or not.
Follow these helpful tips to guarantee your child’s growth is on right track:
- Know the big milestones. Check out the important milestones from birth to age 8. These are the milestones you don’t want to miss.
- Use a checklist. Here’s a milestone checklist you can use to track your child’s development. Print it out and bring it with you to their next doctor’s visit or teacher’s conference. Please note that these checklists are not a substitute for standardized, validated developmental screening tools.
- Get your child screened. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children get screened at 9, 18, 24, and 30 months and every year thereafter. A doctor will identify if a child needs extra support and lead you in the right direction. Find locations for developmental screening here.
- Ask questions. Ask your doctors and children’s teacher questions. Keep a list of questions and bring it with you to your child’s next doctor’s visit or parent-teacher conference. Ask questions to ensure you are doing all you can for your little one. Communication with professionals is key to keeping your baby on track to become a strong and healthy child.
- Dial 2-1-1 for Help Me Grow. Trained child development specialists at Delaware 2-1-1 are here to help and can provide you with useful information, programs, and services for your child’s development. 2-1-1 Help Me Grow is a free, confidential, and toll-free service.
Act early and get connected to child development resources by dialing 2-1-1 for Help Me Grow. Every child is different and has different needs as they grow up. It can get exhausting trying to find the right support for you and your child, so Help Me Grow is a great resource connecting you to providers who will be able to identify your child’s specific needs from day one.
Feel free to dial 2-1-1 Help Me Grow as often as you like. Hours of Operation are Monday –Friday 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
NOTE: If you have an EMERGENCY dial 9-1-1 or your local emergency response number.